5 Lifestyle Habits To Help Preserve Collagen Levels
Along with a healthy and balanced diet, here are some habits that may help protect your body’s natural collagen:
- Wear sunscreen or limit the amount of time spent in direct sunlight (10-20 minutes in direct midday sunlight 3-4 times a week provides adequate vitamin D for most people).
- Get sufficient and quality sleep each day. For the average person, this means 7-9 hours a night.
- Avoid smoking or second-hand smoke.
- Manage your stress levels. Chronically high cortisol levels can decrease collagen production.
- Although the exact connection between exercise and skin quality is unclear, some studies have found that exercise slows down cell activity involved with an aging natural skin.